Dr. Padmini (Mini) Murthy, is currently Professor and Global Health Director at New York Medical College School of Health Sciences and Practice . Dr. Murthy is a physician (a trained obstetrician and gynecologist)She has a MPH and a MS in Management from New York University . She has been working in various arenas of the healthcare industry. Murthy has worked in the private sector clinical trials, marketing and quality control for medical devices managed a budget of 1 million USD and has practiced medicine and public health for the past 30 years in various countries. She has worked as consultant for the United Nations Population Fund( UNFPA) .Dr. Murthy serves as the Medical Women’s International Association NGO representative to the United Nations. She also serves a member of the Executive Council of the NGO CSW Committee of NY, and the DPI NGO executive committee of NY at the United Nations.
Dr Murthy has developed a complete online certificate on global health and has been able to reach out to international students. Dr. Murthy is widely published and is the author and editor of Women’s Global Health and Human Rights (Jones and Bartlett publisher) which is used as a text book worldwide and she serves as a peer reviewer for several publications. Her poetry book Mini’s Musings was published in 2012.She is currently working on her 3rd book on the use of technology in promoting health. She has made over 150 presentations on women’s and children’s health nationally and internationally in scientific conferences and in the United Nations and countries where she has been invited.to.
She has been working to promote safe motherhood and other health initiatives focused on women in India, Malawi and Grenada.She has worked Dr. Murthy has been the recipient of numerous national and international awards. She was the 1st American woman physician to receive the Jhirad Oration Award (in Seoul, Korea) conferred at an international conference in recognition of her service and work to MWIA. She has also been the recipient of the Soujouner Truth Pin which is given to those women who excel in community service. In June 2015, she was presented Millennium Milestone Maker Award at the 9th Annual Women’s Symposium at Sias University, China. In 2016 She was the first Indian born American in over 70 years to receive the Elizabeth Blackwell Medal from American Medical Women’s Association for her work in promoting women’s health globally. She is the recipient of the Lalita Pawar memorial award in 2016 conferred by the Association of Medical Women in India Nagpur for her work in promoting women’s health and human rights. In 2017 Murthy was conferred the prestigious Dr Homi Colabawalla Oration in Mumbai India for her work on promoting women’s health. In 2018 she received a mentorship award from the Australian medical students and Exceptional Woman of Excellence Award at the Women economic Forum in New Delhi and award for promoting human rights of women from Taiwanese Medical association at Health Literacy conference . In March 2019 Murthy received for a second consecutive year a mentorship award for mentoring Australian medical students from the Notre Dame University in Sydney Australia. She is also the 2019 recipient of the Human Spirit and Cultural Harmony award from African Views and the Board of Trustees of the National Council of Traditional rulers of Africa.
Murthy is currently chair elect of the International Health Section of the American Public Health Association which is one of the largest associations of public health professionals in the world.
Murthy is married to a physician and is the mother of a daughter who works in international development and education.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 04/19– African Views Certificate of Excellence in recognition of outstanding service
- 03/19–Human Spirit and Cultural Harmony Award – Board of trustees of National Council of Traditional Rulers of Nigeria.
- 03/19 University of Medicine, Notre Dame Australia, CSW Award for mentoring students , NYC 11/18 Leadership Appointment as Chair, American Public Health Association Nations Health Advisory Committee
- 10/18– Global Health Award from Taiwanese Medical Women’s Association , Taiwan
- 10/18– Asian Health Literacy Association Global Health Award, Taichung – Taiwan
- 04/18 Exceptional Woman of Excellence – Women Economic Forum New Delhi
- 03/18 Award for Outstanding support of Australian Medical students
- 12/17 Dr. Homi Colaballwa Oration, Association of Medical women, Mumbai
- 11/16 Dr. Latha Pawar Inaugural oration Award presented by association of Medical women of India, Nagpur in recognition of service to women
- 11/16 Distinguished Section Service Award International Health Section, American Public Health Association
- 02/16 Elizabeth Blackwell Medal presented to the year’s outstanding female physician by American Medical Women’s Association. (first Indian born American recipient in 70 years)
- 06/15 Leadership Appointment, American Public Health Association Nations Health Advisory Committee
- 05/15 Millennium Milestone Maker Award for humanitarian service to the United Nations purpose and to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 11/14 -Invited panelist on high level event with the Secretary General of UN HE Ban Ki Moon representing Academia at the United Nations.
- 05/14 New York Medical College Community Service Award
- 11/13 Special Certificate of Recognition to International Health Section, American Public Health Association
- 10/13 Invited Speaker, Presidential Forum on Diversity. Union College: first time in the history of the school when a speaker motivated the launch of a service project ie Safe Motherhood
- 08/13 Jhirad Oration Award Seoul, Korea awarded to a woman physician for service. 03/13 Invited Distinguished Scholar Series Global Health, Ithaca College, N.Y.
- 03/13 Outstanding Community Service Award, American Medical Women’s Association 12/12 Woman of the Year, National Association of Business Women
- 12/12 Marie Catchatoor Memorial Oration award, The Association of Medical Women in India this award is presented annually to a woman physician who excels in promoting women’s health and human rights.
- 07/12 Certificate of Appreciation, US Army, Fort San Antonio
- 10/11 Sojourner Truth Pin from The National Convention of the NANBPWC, Inc (this is the highest honor bestowed by the NANBPWC, Inc., the Sojourner Truth Award, given to a woman who has exemplified outstanding community service and whose life parallels the life and qualities of Sojourner Truth
- 06/11 International Council of Women, Representative to the World Health Organization
- 05/11 National Council of Women USA Distinguished Leadership and Achievement Award in the arena of Women’s Health.
- 05/11 Innovative Contributions to Medical undergraduate education, New York Medical College 05/10 Excellence in Teaching presented by students, SHSP, New York Medical College
- 05/ 09 Book Signing of Women’s Global Health and Human Rights at the FDR Library
- 11/09 Book Signing of Women’s Global Health and Human Rights at the New York Academy of Medicine
- 11/09 Mid-Career Achievement Award, International Health Section, American Public Health Association
- 03/09 NGO Representative selected to Address United Nations Assembly Special Session on the Commission of Status of Women
- 05/00 Dean’s Certificate of Excellence, New York University Steinhart School of Education
- 05/00 Banner Bearer, Commencement and Valedictory Ceremonies for New York University Steinhart School of Education
- 02/00 Public Service Scholar New York University, Robert F. Wagner School of Public Service 09/94 Best physician at the work place, Gizan Kingdom of Saudi Arabia